The car purchase is turning into rather a saga.
We came home from that first look at the Mazda 6 with firm quotes, so we thought. An ‘on-the-road’ price, including all knock-on costs, taxes, etc. etc. We had asked for an ‘out-the-door’ price, checked the figures with him and believed him. A subsequent visit on friend’s part for a test drive yesterday produced top boss who said, after the test drive, that the salesman was not talking about that particular car but only in general and would never have come up with the figures he had done, that there must have been a lack of communication and quoted a figure several thousand higher than we had been given! So, nothing changes in the car sales world then. Friend and husband said they had to go, which they did since a hospital operation was in the offing, at which point the sales pitch hardened, got really pushy and finally top boss came to the door asking what could be done to retrieve the sale. Friend said, “Nothing, you’ve blown it but you have my e-mail and phone number if you have anything to offer.” And they left.
An hour later the first e-mail came, saying that there must have been crossed wires and justifying everything the salesman had said, but offering a deal for $1,230 less than an hour previously. Friend wrote back later saying that she had checked with me, and I confirmed what the salesman had said so unless they went back to that original price she was not interested.
Less than an hour after that, another e-mail came from the top man to offer yet further reductions. Now the offer on the table is $1800 more than the original quote but much less than that morning’s demand. Friend has not got back to him yet but research on the web shows that it is not a bad price for the spec of this particular car.
So today she went to test drive a Nissan Altima, liked both it and the salesman and explained where she was with the Mazda and the price she had been quoted for that. The Nissan chap said he could not begin to match that and asked for something several thousand dollars more. Friend said that was not what she was looking for and began to leave. The salesman began to put the pressure on and friend told him not to do that, it would have the opposite effect and not work on her. Then she left. And guess what? An hour after she got home there was an e-mail from the Nissan guy offering a better deal. No surprise there then. Friend wrote back and said that he knew what price she was looking to match and it would be that or nothing. And then went off to have her hair cut. When she got home again there was another e-mail from the Nissan guy, this time matching the Mazda price. Apparently, he had just found some Nissan vouchers he could use to bring the price down.
No wonder people hate buying cars. Will car salesmen ever learn that most buyers would prefer a simple, honest exchange of information so that they can then make up their minds. All these games.
So the rest of the day is looking over the specs of the two cars and comparing which she is going to go for. And longing for it to end: life is far too short to spend one’s time like this.
On a more personal level, I spent some time shopping and bought a pretty shirt/jacket (25% off today only) and did lots of Music Harmony work this afternoon while friend was wrestling with car salesmen. I got the better deal. Oh yes, and the BA website says my flights may be disrupted! Anyone whose flight is not essential is asked to consider postponing so that others can get home. But no inducement yet. How the world, or I, have changed. Time was when I would have done it just for the good of humanity, this time I would rather like to be offered a free ticket to return to the US next year!! But actually it would worry me dreadfully to bump voluntarily since I have a through flight connection the other end and a good seat booked: but then, it is not strictly essential. But then, when would I be able to go, given that the volcano is still spewing: and even if that stops, what about the next threatened BA strike. Oh, quandaries, quandaries.